Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What do we want in a President?

In recent news broadcasts, we’ve been hearing more and more about Herman Cain and an alleged case of sexual harassment. Most articles have centered around the debate of the timing in relation to his climb in the polls, if the claims are true, and what the source of the story actually was. My question: Does it matter?

Being a football fan, I can’t help but think of the Pittsburgh Steelers. As a Steelers fan, I’ve seen story and story about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s off-field antics. They can be, to say the least, embarrassing. His behavior at times has been closer to that of a child than a grown adult. But am I calling for him to be removed from the team? No. Not at all.

The reason for that is because I have to consider what matters in a quality quarterback. In short, there’s a reason Pittsburgh has made so many trips to the Super Bowl in recent history and Ben Roethlisberger is a big factor. He has what matters when it comes to being a quarterback. If I had a single sister who wanted to date him, that would be a completely different story. I don’t care how much money he’s making, there’d just be no way.

And this brings me back to Herman Cain. What does this whole thing have to do with his ability to fulfill the job as president? If he was sexually suggestive to a couple of women, it just means he’d make a lousy significant other and I’d have reservations if he wanted to pastor my church. But it doesn’t say anything about his ability to fix the economy, get people back to work, or restore state rights.

Kayleigh McEnany recently wrote an article in the Daily Caller that discussed the concept of a president we’d like to have a beer with. She makes a good point in saying that the important thing is that they’re a good leader. A President needs to have good policies and the ability to get things done.

This all makes perfect sense. Each job has different qualifications. Anything outside those qualifications really doesn’t matter. If I ran a Formula 1 team, I would want a driver who has the talent needed to drive an F1 car. If he bashes Ronald Reagan in his spare time, that just means I probably won’t be inviting him over for dinner very often. On the flip side, I’m looking for a candidate who can bring back the Reagan philosophy. If they struggle with their turn signal, it just means I’ll think twice about hitting the road when I know they’re driving… anywhere… in the known universe.

Now I’m not a Cain supporter. I’m not sold on his “9-9-9” plan quite yet. But it is important that we keep this race focused on what matters: Who’s going to make America great again? And much like Ben Roethlisberger’s off-field antics, I don’t see too much impact on Cain’s ability to lead unless these allegations end up being significantly bigger than most seem to believe they are. This whole thing doesn’t change the value of his “9-9-9” plan. It doesn’t wipe away his experience in the private sector.

All this story is doing is it’s distracting from the conversations that really matter during this campaign. I would like to see more analysis on “9-9-9.” I want to hear more of what Newt Gingrich has to say as he’s been impressive as of late. I would like to get a better idea of how Mitt Romney is going to be a conservative leader in the White House. None of these have anything to do with the off-field antics of any of the candidates. Now if I had a single family member looking to date one of them…

No comments:

Post a Comment