Thursday, November 10, 2011

From the bottom of my heart, thank you

As Veterans Day approaches, my mind goes to those that risked and sacrificed so much to serve our country in the military. Their sacrifice does not go unnoticed.

I’ve had the honor of knowing some of these people. I remember my grandfather who flew during World War II. I think of an usher at my church that was there when the allies stormed Normandy. I see my friend Tom who is learning to become a helicopter pilot in the US military, sacrificing time away from his wife and family. I think of Steve, a teammate of mine from high school, who put his life on hold so he can go help make sure I’m free to live mine.

And then there are my students. While I give them the pitch to go to my alma mater, nothing impresses me more than when one says they’re going to join the military. I feel blessed to have played a role in their lives.

As a political science major and a political commentator, I like to talk about the Founding Fathers that gave us this country and our flag. But it’s the men and women of our military who won’t get their name in a history book that have kept this country and our flag from falling. They are the ones who deserve our respect more than any other group in American history.

I’m blessed by these men and women in more than one way. They are incredibly wonderful people. They’re giving, mature, and they truly are the best of us. They have encouraged me to be the same.

While I’m not able to serve due to a number of medical reasons, I don’t feel like our country has lost out too much in me remaining a civilian. That’s because those that are out there risking life and limb do such an amazing job. Consider some of their accomplishments:

  • When facing the strongest military during the American Revolution, our men and women secured liberty for all of us.
  • During the War of 1812, our nation’s Capitol was burning but they didn’t give up.
  • When our country was divided in the Civil War, they stood up for what they believe even if that meant firing at a neighbor.
  • When we entered World War I, they lived in the cold and damp trenches so freedom could survive.
  • When we were facing Germany and Japan, they were able to win on both fronts.
  • When communism worked its way into countries around the world, they went to defend those who were defenseless.
  • When America was attacked on 9/11, they went out into harsh environments so we wouldn’t have to deal with that kind of horror again.

We are lucky to have these people represent us. It’s important that not only do we take the time to thank them, but also understand them, who they are, and what they go through.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dan! (It's Angela - from Kayleigh's blog). Just wanted to say that this is absolutely beautiful - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I once heard someone say that a writing can only be as good as that which inspires it. So much credit for any quality that may be present here goes to the troops.

    ReplyDelete