Friday, October 28, 2011

The brilliance of Occupy Wall Street

I know I’ve been on this horse for a long time. But, there’s just so much to say about Occupy Wall Street. Since it’s a Friday, I’m going to share videos from YouTube about this and provide my commentary.

My idea for this started with Steven Crowder’s video for the week. So to understand where I’m starting from, here’s the video:

Well this inspired me to look into some videos right from OWS. What are these people thinking?

The first piece of entertainment involves a guy complaining about racism (which I didn’t know was part of the OWS mission). He complains about people calling white people crackers and saying that it’s wrong when anyone says that white people are part of the problem. Oh wait, that’s what he does. His definition of capitalism, by the way, is the middle finger. I missed that one in my econ classes. Be warned, there is a LOT of profanity… because apparently profanity helps make someone sound sane and rationale.

“Name a black person who has the power to control anything in this country?” Did he really ask that?!?

This next one cracks me up! I knew it was going to be interesting when it starts off with one person calling another “Comrade.” But the real gem is when a woman complains about paying taxes on her unemployment. Hold on. Now I’m not sure how exactly the taxes work on unemployment, but let me get this straight. She gets free money and then the people who give her the money ask for a little bit of it back? She then complains about corporations that are profitable getting more breaks tax-wise than she is. I question that, but let’s run with it. She thinks it’s upside down that someone who is profitable is treated better than someone who’s not producing anything? I’d like to see where that kind of thinking would get us as a nation. Actually, I take that back. I don’t want to see that because I would be in the middle of it. She then says these corporations are doing nothing. She just said they’re profitable. I challenge her to do nothing AND be profitable. There can only be one Snooki and that role is taken.

Runner-up on this next video is the guy who goes on about how corporations are ruining health care and how he worries how it will impact his daughter and how he wants her healthcare guaranteed. Having had a battle with cancer, I know how corporations work in health care. When I needed a scan, there was a big “GE” logo on the machine. Who produced the drugs I needed? Medical corporations. It was a network of “evil corporations” that brought the doctors I needed together. We could get corporations out of healthcare, but that also means we’re probably headed back towards a world of leeches and other medieval kinds of healthcare. But enough talk. Enjoy!

Next up is a student complaining about how we’re pretty much trapped when it comes to going to college. I agree. But isn’t that more because we’ve made the high school diploma practically worthless? She should Occupy a classroom, not Wall Street.

But it seems I’ve stumbled on why the Occupy Wall Street movement exists. The problem is misinformation. Take the guy in this upcoming video:

He talks about a politician. It sounds like he’s saying “Harry Brawn.” I’ve never heard of Harry Brawn. I did an internet search and came up with nothing. There was a Harry Browne. Looking through some books he wrote, he’s clearly a capitalist. Between “The Secret of Selling Anything” and “You Can Profit from a Monetary Crisis” he’s hardly in line with the movement.

He then makes up stuff about the 5th Amendment saying that it says that the people have the right to vote on anything Congress passes. Here’s the 5th Amendment for you:

“No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”

Anyone who knows the very basics of the Constitution knows the 5th Amendment covers things such as double jeopardy and self incrimination. It’s not an amendment about Congress, but the rights of the accused. Maybe if this guy spent some time in a government class that taught the Constitution, then he wouldn’t be so gullible.

Finally, I want to take a look at what Occupy Wall Street is accomplishing. They set out to take down the corporate fat cats and stand up for the little guy. Well, how’s that working out?

And yet, Apple Stores and Bank of America branches across the nation are open for business

No comments:

Post a Comment